The Dewey House
The 1936 building permit for his home lists its first owners as Harold F.
and Margaret Dewey. Mr. Dewey was a salesperson for the R. Cummings and
Co. distillers out of Battle Creek, Mich., and his family only stayed at
the address for one year. Its next owners were William J. and Daisy Peelen.
Dr. Peelen and his brother were locally established in the obstetrics and
gynecology practice; at one point their offices were located in the American
National Bank building.
1703 Hillshire Drive, Kalamazoo
The longtime Kalamazoo architectural firm of Stewart-Kingscott Associates
designed the home, which has since been updated with a hipped roof and the
removal of the wings. But the metal and strong vertical elements at the
doorway are reminders of the home’s original style.